As our knowledge of the human genome grows, and with the advent of next-generation sequencing technologies, the role of genetic research is evolving to guide therapy and prevent many diseases and mitigate side-effects of current treatments. As a pivotal member of the healthcare team, nurses must acquire competency in pharmacogenomics to deliver optimal patient care in the 21st century.
Mastering Pharmacogenomics provides nursing professionals with a foundational knowledge of human genetics and genomics that can be applied in optimizing drug therapy and patient care delivery. Coverage includes:
• Essential pharmacogenomics competencies for registered nurses
• Genomics technologies and resources
• Critical properties of drug response and disposition
• Covered specialties include obstetrics and prenatal patients, pediatrics, older adult patients, and oncology
• Ethics and patient care
• Future developments in technology and delivery